Did you know that you can save up to 30% on your energy bills just by keeping your HVAC system clean & running effectively?
(Source: U.S. Department of Energy)
But not only that…
A tuned-up HVAC system means less hassle of repairs, a longer equipment life, and safer equipment operation in general. To prevent surprise breakdowns and to keep your HVAC system operating at peak efficiency, it’s important to learn the ins-and-outs of its maintenance.
Therefore, I designed this handy visual and interactive checklist you can follow to keep your system running in top-notch condition.
Here’s a brief overview of what you will find in the below checklist.
Note: Click the image to access the full-resolution version.
Checks You Should Do Right Away
- Cut any plants or grass that are around 12 inches of your condenser.
- Keep the heating registers & vents free of dust and pet hair.
- Remove any drapes or furniture that might be blocking the supply & return registers.
Monthly or Seasonal Checks
- Every 3 months, replace the air filter. You might need to do it monthly if you have pets in your home.
- Every 3 months, clean the condensate drain line. You can pour a cup of bleach in the drain line near the AC unit to kill any algae formed in the pipe.
- Every month, inspect the insulation of refrigerant lines. If the insulation is missing or looks deteriorated, replace immediately.
- Shut down the humidifier at the end of each heating season.
- Do a complete HVAC maintenance check done by a certified professional twice a year—preferably in the spring & fall.
- Clean your vents and registers at least annually to help them circulate air as efficiently as possible.
- Clean evaporator & condenser coils once or twice a year.
- Replace the battery in your home’s carbon monoxide detector annually.