It’s the weekend.
You’re about to go on a long drive with your family.
You start your car as usual, but…
The engine starts making a weird lifter-ticking noise and lasts for some time even while driving.
Noisy lifters are annoying.
Thankfully, adding an oil-additive can help you fix sticky lifter noise.
Adding 20-30% of an oil-additive along with synthetic oil can not only reduce friction but also enhance performance.
Before I reveal them, I want to quickly give you a heads-up that we also have a step-by-step guide to help you quieten noisy lifters.
Having said that, here are the absolute best oil-additives you can buy right now:
- 1. TriboTEX Nano-Oil Additive Car Engine Treatment
- 2. Marvel Mystery Oil MM12R
- 3. Liqui Moly 20004 Hydraulic Lifter Additive
- 4. Rislone’s Bars Leaks Engine Treatment
- 5. Archoil Ar9100 Oil Additive
- 6. BestLine Premium Synthetic Engine Treatment
- Buying Guide: Factors to Consider Before Buying
- 1. Is the Additive Suitable For Your Engine Model?
- 2. Thickness
- 3. Must Prevent Rust and Debris
- 4. Chemical Composition
- 5. Does It Reduce Friction?
- 6. Does it Reduce Emissions?
- 7. Climate Adaptability
- 8. EPA Certification
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 1. What Are The Symptoms Of Car Lifter Failure?
- 2. What Causes Noisy Valve Lifters?
- 3. How to Use Oil Additive to Stop Lifter Tick?
- 4. How To Hide Engine Knock?
- 5. Will Synthetic Oil Quieten Noise Lifters?
- 6. Can Noisy Lifters Cause Damage? Is Lifter Tick Dangerous?
- The Bottom Line
1. TriboTEX Nano-Oil Additive Car Engine Treatment
TriboTEX Nano is hands-down the absolute best car engine treatment kit you can buy right now.
Applying it on the parts of the vehicle is extremely simple. The nanoparticles in it help get rid of the debris and other deposits so that the vehicle works perfectly and with optimum efficiency.
It forms a diamond coating around the bearings which is extremely sturdy and protects it from any sort of damage and rusting. This same coating also reverses the damages that might have happened earlier.
It should not only help dampen the noise but also could prevent friction by forming a protective ceramic coating. It is compatible with all motor oil types—and can be used in gas or diesel engines.
It is basically a mixture of base oil and additives which makes it completely non-toxic and environment-friendly.
Something to keep in mind:
It’s available in only one size and can be used only once per syringe, though.
- Nanoparticles remove debris and other deposits
- Carbon-coating reverse any destruction caused earlier
- Compatible with all motor oil types
- Can be used in gas or diesel engines
- Reduce engine noise
- Can be applied only once per syringe
- Available in just one size
2. Marvel Mystery Oil MM12R
If you are looking for a strong oil additive that can also boost the engine performance, you might want to check this out.
It is capable of cleaning and eliminating all the impurities and debris which build-up around the engine and injectors so that they continue to operate smoothly and silently. It efficiently reduces friction and reduces noise and can also potentially increases gas mileage.
It’s compatible during all-weathers. During winters it keeps the parts of the vehicle smoother to prevent any damage. It is compatible with diesel oil and synthetic oil.
The ingredients included in the product are Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy 64742-52-5 60-100% Naphthenic), Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) 8052-41-3 10-30%, Tricresyl Phosphate 1330-78-5 0.1-1.0%, Ortho Dichlorobenzene 95-50-1 0.1-1.0%, and Para Dichlorobenzene.
It’s rather thin compared to other products of its type. Also, I recommend you treat it well before releasing it into the environment else it might cause toxicity.
- Reduces friction
- Increases gas mileage
- Prevents dry starts
- Compatible with all types of oil
- Available in multiple sizes
- Comparatively thin compared to other products of its type
3. Liqui Moly 20004 Hydraulic Lifter Additive
Are you hunting for an oil additive that enhances the lubricating property of the oil and reduces tappet noise? Liqui Moly 20004 might be worth looking into.
It is compatible with gas and diesel engines and also works perfectly with commercial oils. This product is ideal for the engines which require 1.6 liters or even more. Also, it proves to be very useful for vehicles that have turbochargers and catalytic converters.
You get to notice a considerable increase in fuel economy. It also ensures that your vehicle starts well and offers a smooth idle.
The ingredients used in its formulation make it completely safe and eco-friendly.
It’s might not be the best option for motorcycles with wet clutches, though.
- Reduces tappet noise
- Compatible with gas and diesel engines
- Great for vehicles that have turbochargers and catalytic converters
- Increases fuel economy
- Not suitable for motorcycles with wet clutches
4. Rislone’s Bars Leaks Engine Treatment
Rislone’s Bars Leaks Engine Treatment is an inexpensive option for oil-additives for, especially older vehicles.
It efficiently expels out the entire sludge from the engine and prevents sludge formation in the future, and helps reduces noise. It also curtails emissions from the engine and enhances performance.
It minimizes friction as it smoothens different parts of the vehicle. Many consumers said they could notice a reduction in valve noise. If you have an extremely dirty engine, you might want to double the dosage for optimum results.
It is designed to treat 4 to 6 quarts of oil. It also enhances the oil pressure which gives you better riding experience.
You get what you pay for, though.
It’s not as thick as its competitors. It also lacks zinc which is one of the key ingredients of a good oil-additive.
- Great for older vehicles
- Expels and prevents further formation of sludge in the engine
- Reduces friction
- Minimizes clattering of the valve lifters
- Lacks zinc which is a key ingredient of an excellent oil additive
- Mediocre thickness
5. Archoil Ar9100 Oil Additive
Archoil Ar9100 is a great oil-additive to help you solve injector problems.
It operates on hydraulic lifters and reduces noise efficiently by reducing friction. It easily cures 6 and 7.3L PowerStroke cold start injector problems. It’s also weather compatible and prevents damage to parts of the vehicle during winters.
It is compatible with gasoline and diesel engines, gearboxes, hydraulics, differentials, and power steering systems and increases their overall efficiency.
It seeps into the engine properly to reduce friction. With Nanoburate Technology it increases the life of the engine and prevents wear and tear by forming a lubricating coating which helps it tackle tremendous pressure. The main ingredient is zinc, which is ideal for preventing corrosion.
AR9100 also improves the oxidative stability of engine oil, reducing the rate of degradation.
It’s available in a single size only, though.
- Helps solve injector and kickstart problems
- Compatible with gasoline and diesel engines
- Reduces friction
- Prevents the formation of debris and other deposits
- Enhances oxidative stability
- Available in one size only
6. BestLine Premium Synthetic Engine Treatment
Are you looking for a versatile oil additive that works well with old as well as the new vehicles? This might be worth a look.
It increases the overall performance and life of your engine with its revolutionary formula and perfect thickness.
The key component of this product is a 20 weight full-synthetic base oil which benefits you immensely during longer drain intervals.
It forms an ionically bonded coating that keeps the different components smooth and friction-free. It increases fuel mileage.
It is a universally compatible oil additive that can be used along with any motor oil. It can be applied in both diesel and gas engines.
It also helps in easier heat dissipation and might help prevent smog emissions.
The only limitation?
It can show its long-lasting impact only o gasoline engines, and not other types.
- Reduces friction and emissions
- Suitable for both new and old automobiles
- Easier heat dissipation
- Optimum thickness
- Only for gasoline engines
Buying Guide: Factors to Consider Before Buying
1. Is the Additive Suitable For Your Engine Model?
Different oil additives are compatible with different engine models. Some additives are versatile and can be applied to a wide range of engines like gasoline and diesel engines, gearboxes, hydraulics, differentials, etc. while others show compatible with a limited number of engine types.
On the list, the Archoil Ar9100 Oil Additive is one such versatile oil-additives and reduces noise by minimizing friction and smoothening the parts of the engine.
BestLine Premium Synthetic, on the other hand, can be used with gasoline engines only.
A thick oil additive is essential to reduce the friction of the engine. Thickness is gauged by the viscosity of the oil additive. It indirectly measures the level of friction happening inside any engine.
Oil additives basically thicken the existing engine oil.
Viscosity depends on temperature and hence might change due to variations in the degree of hotness. It is, therefore, necessary to select oil additives that are temperature resistant and helps to dissipate heat quickly.
3. Must Prevent Rust and Debris
While the engine operates, debris and carbon deposits are formed which in the long run hinders the proper functioning of the engine. It is important the oil additive must be competent to dislodge all these deposits and prevent their formation.
Consequently, friction will be reduced which will surely boost the engine’s life. Oil additives that perfectly carry out this operation are TriboTEX Nano-Oil Additive Car Engine Treatment, Marvel Mystery Oil MM12R, and Liqui Moly 20004 Hydraulic Lifter Additive.
4. Chemical Composition
An oil additive must have a composition that can boost the engine’s performance and prevent rust and other deposits from forming.
Phosphorus is the key component that lubricates the engine parts. It must be present in optimum amounts. Zinc and phosphorus greatly increase the life and efficiency of the engine.
Wear and tear are inhibited by the presence of extreme pressure agents like potassium-borate and chlorine. Nanoparticles, on the other hand, increase fuel mileage.
From the list, products that have most of these key ingredients are TriboTEX Nano-Oil Additive Car Engine Treatment and Marvel Mystery Oil MM12R.
5. Does It Reduce Friction?
Friction in the engine is a major cause of wear and tear and unwanted noise. Proper lubrication using the ideal oil additive can provide an excellent solution to this issue.
Phosphorus-containing oil additives lubricate efficiently. It will form a protective lubricating coating around the metallic parts and reduce friction.
6. Does it Reduce Emissions?
Oil additives must not only serve the function of increasing the overall performance of the engine but it must also be eco-friendly. Not all oil additives have chemicals that are non-toxic in nature.
Some oil additives can also prevent smog emissions.
7. Climate Adaptability
Most oil additives are formulated to withstand either hot or cold weather conditions. If an oil additive can withstand extremely high temperatures as well as chilling cold weather conditions, it is considered as a climate adaptable oil additive.
Archoil Ar9100 Oil Additive is a great choice when it comes to this.
8. EPA Certification
EPA certification signals that the product is devoid of toxic ingredients which may tamper with nature. It is mostly noticed that the oil additives which are suitable for the older engines happen to be EPA approved.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What Are The Symptoms Of Car Lifter Failure?
When the lifter maintains oil pressure and remains in the collapsed state for long, we may conclude that it is not functioning optimally. There is excessive friction whenever the parts come in contact with each other which causes excessive noise.
It tampers with the ability of the cylinder to properly process the fuel which in turn creates spark plug fouling.
2. What Causes Noisy Valve Lifters?
Valve lifters are generally tiny cylinders. Aeration of oil in the pressure chamber can be a major cause of the unwanted ticking sound.
The deposition of debris and other carbon compounds can also increase friction in those areas and increase the level of sound production.
Continuously changing the acceleration of the vehicle can also cause the pushrod to create excessive noise.
3. How to Use Oil Additive to Stop Lifter Tick?
- Taking into account the guide offered by the manufacturer of your vehicle regarding the most suitable oil additive for it is crucial.
- To notice optimum results, at least 20% of the net volume of the additive needs to be applied to the metallic parts of the vehicle.
- Keep track of whether or not the level of noise has decreased after the application of the oil additive as you drive through the lanes.
- If you cannot detect any appreciable change in the performance of your engine, then it is advised to try other oil additives that are compatible with the engines of your automobile and look at other factors that also add to the overall noise created by a vehicle.
4. How To Hide Engine Knock?
Here are a few tips to hide engine knock:
- Keeping track of the temperature of the engine
- Purchasing fuels which contain a higher level of octane which burns more efficiently
- Ensuring that the combustion chamber is completely clean of any debris and other carbon deposits by adding oil additives
- Replacing spark plugs and wires from time to time
5. Will Synthetic Oil Quieten Noise Lifters?
It is advised to refer to the facts provided about the type of oil additive to be used for a specific engine.
Synthetic oil is capable of reducing noise to a great extent. It reduces friction in the different which makes the engine work smoothly. Hence, it increases the life of the engine.
Synthetic oils can act as both thick and thin oil. When you start the vehicle, it behaves like a thin oil additive which in turn keeps the engine cool.
6. Can Noisy Lifters Cause Damage? Is Lifter Tick Dangerous?
Lifters produce different types of sounds like ticking, tapping, and clicking sounds. The duration for which they last mostly decides how much impact is it having on the overall efficiency of your engine.
If the noise lasts for a prolonged duration of time, it may be an indication that a huge amount of carbon deposits and debris have embedded in the system. This is severely damaging since it prevents other parts of the engine from functioning optimally.
If not solved soon, the engine may suffer severely.
The Bottom Line
TriboTEX Nano is hands-down the absolute best car engine treatment kit you can buy right now. The nano-particles help get rid of any debris and the ceramic coating it forms helps dampen the noise. It’s also compatible with all motor-oil types.
Rislone’s Bars Leaks Engine Treatment is an inexpensive option for oil-additives for, especially older vehicles. It minimizes friction as it smoothens different parts of the vehicle.
Archoil Ar9100 is great for solving injector problems. It’s also compatible with all engine-oil types.