Are you troubled by the constant rattling of the doors and other parts of your car while you drive? Do you wish to enjoy a wonderful journey, listening to your favorite tracks without having to tolerate the unnecessary sound created by the vibration of the different parts of your vehicle?
I personally have faced such a situation. It was so annoying that I decided to look for methods to solve this issue.
After hours of careful evaluation of several products, I have shortlisted seven best sound-deadening materials for your car.
Let’s dive right into it!
- 1. Dynamat
- 2. Noico Sound Deadening Mat
- 3. Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat
- 4. FatMat Self-Adhesive Rattletrap Sound Deadener
- 5. Kilmat
- 6. HushMat 10300 Ultra Black Foil Floor Kit with Damping Pad
- 7. Design Engineering 050210 Boom Mat Sound
- Buying Guide: Factors to Consider before Purchasing
- 1. Material Type
- 2. Sound Isolation Type
- 3. Size
- 4. Thickness
- 5. Are Rollers Included?
- 6. Budget
- 7. If the Material is Odor-free
- 8. Lightweight, Oil-resistant, High-quality
- Frequently Asked Questions
Note: If you’re serious about sound deadening your vehicle and increasing performance, you might also want to have a look at a top-notch quiet performance muffler.
If you are looking for the perfect automotive sound deadening material which will let you enjoy rides without noise from the vibrating resonating parts of your car, the Dynamat is worth a look. It is the best overall sound deadening material to cover doors, floors and trunk floors, and rear decks.
By covering the resonating surfaces of your car, you can enjoy listening to your stereo system without having to turn the volume high due to vibrations and distortions.
These can also be installed in quarter panels, roofs, and trunk lids to further minimize the noise. It is stated that this Dynamat is about four times more effective and lighter as compared to the original Dynamat product.
But overall this brand has got a huge reputation and the Dynamat happens to be a great choice as sound deadening material.
It is also able to tolerate the high temperatures of firewalls and floors due to aluminum coating.
A negative point about it is that it is relatively thinner compared to other similar products.
- covering only 25% of your car with Dynamat can tremendously reduce the unnecessary rattling noises
- the aluminum coating helps it to withstand high temperatures of floors and sidewalls
- it can also be used to cover doors, floors and trunk floors, and rear decks
- the brand is well reputed for its excellent performance
- the thickness needs to be incremented slightly
2. Noico Sound Deadening Mat
If you are willing to install excellent quality sound deadening material without burning a hole in your pocket, then this is the ideal product for you. This cost-effective product is made out of the Vibro-dampening layer of butyl which offers perfect noise insulation.
Its thickness is 80 mil and it can cover up to 36 sq.feet. By purchasing Noico car Sound deadening mat, you can save up to 20% as compared to other similar products.
The latest version of the product has significant improvements and now is about 1.5 times thicker than earlier. This automotive self-adhesive insulating material is a full weighted sound deadening material.
In the package, you get a set of 9 folded sheets. It also has an indicator to check if it has been installed correctly. Customers have added that the product has got very little odor.
The insulation of the high-temperature areas of the vehicle could be improved to function even better, though.
- budget-friendly and highly efficient sound deadening material
- it is a full weighted sound deadening material.
- an indicator is provided to check if the installation has been done perfectly
- very little odor
- the rattling sound of hotter parts of the vehicle needs to be prevented in a better manner
- to get very good insulation against noise, you need to use extra heat and noise blocking products
3. Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat
If you are troubled with unwanted noise due to the rattling and vibration of metal surfaces of your vehicle, this is the best product for you. You can enjoy a smooth and relaxing ride by using Second Skin Audio Damplifier to cut off structural noises.
Butyl is used in its fabrication. The product not only ensures great performance but also takes care of the health of the customers by not utilizing asphalt which has adverse effects on us.
It has got an excellent heat rating of 450F. The butyl rubber along with annealed foil offers perfect noise insulation.
The product is able to tolerate high temperatures. It also functions as a radiant barrier. They are also very thick and odor-free.
Customers have reported that this is one of the most effective sound-deadening materials. The only drawback of this product is that it’s relatively thinner.
- perfect for reducing noise due to metal surfaces of the vehicles
- odor-free as it does not use asphalt which is also very harmful to health
- perfect insulation against sound is obtained due to butyl rubber and annealed foil
- can tackle high temperatures
- perfectly thick
- acts as a radiant barrier
- Thickness could have been better
4. FatMat Self-Adhesive Rattletrap Sound Deadener
If you wish to have an install kit along with the sound deadening material then the FatMat might be an ideal choice for your vehicle. In the package, you will be provided with instructions, knife, roller, and FatMat Sound Control Decal.
RattleTrap helps to cut off unwanted noises drastically offering you the peaceful ride you desire. It enhances the bass and provides you with a better audio experience.
It can handle high temperatures very well with the help of aluminum coating. This is a super stick adhesive material with a thickness of 80 mils.
The product is also very flexible and can be cut effortlessly. It easily conforms and fuses to cover metal and hard surfaces.
Some negative points mentioned by very few customers include that adhesive had to be applied later again in few sheets to ensure that they retain at their proper place.
- besides the sound deadening material, it also has an install kit
- enhances bass
- the aluminum coating helps it to tolerate extremes of temperatures
- it is a super stick adhesive
- flexible and can be cut effortlessly
- in very few cases some sheets needed adhesive after some span of time since they were getting loose
If you are not willing to spend a huge amount on sound deading materials and yet enjoy a peaceful and relaxing ride, then this is probably the ideal product for you. You can actually save about 20% if you purchase this instead of other similar products from other brands.
It is about 1.5 times thicker as compared to its previous version. It is 80 mil in thickness and offers perfect noise insulation.
It is an automotive self-adhesive insulating material. Perfect noise insulation is rendered due to its lightweight.
You can also check if the material has been installed perfectly with the help of the indicator. In the package, you will be provided with 34 sheets which can cover up to 36 feet.
The aluminum coating helps it to withstand high temperatures. Many customers report that they are very satisfied with the performance but they did complain that the installation process needs to be simplified further.
- cost-effective as well as efficient
- 1.5 times thicker than its previous version
- it is lighter than other similar products
- can tolerate high temperatures due to the aluminum coating
- the installation process needs further simplification
6. HushMat 10300 Ultra Black Foil Floor Kit with Damping Pad
If you want a foil starter kit with a damping pad, this is probably the perfect product for you. It can reduce road noise and vibration very efficiently.
HushMat has been proven to reduce the heat of the vehicles up to 40 percent. These sound deadening materials are capable of rendering perfect services in a wide range of temperature conditions ranging from 30 degrees Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Installation can be done effortlessly with this product. It has been designed perfectly to fit the specifications of OEM. It easily wraps around the tighter areas.
It comes in a pack of 30 sheets. The downside of the product is that it will cover only the base and not the doors and hence you need to spend on other packs.
- you get foil starter kit with a damping pad
- efficiently reduces road noise and vibrations
- reduces the heat of the vehicles up to 40 percent
- works perfectly in a wide range of temperature conditions
- it fits the specifications of OEM
- wraps around easily around the tighter areas
- covers only the base and not the doors and hence you need to spend extra money on other products
7. Design Engineering 050210 Boom Mat Sound
If low-frequency noise from your vehicle parts is hampering your otherwise perfect ride, then Design Engineering’s Boom Mat could offer you a solution. It gives you perfect noise insulation by just covering 25 to 50% of your vehicle.
It can be installed very easily and the material is easy to cut. You get to enjoy perfect service in a wide range of temperature conditions.
The product is waterproof and corrosion-resistant which makes it long-lasting. Viscoelastic polymer layer along with aluminum makes it very durable.
It can be applied effortlessly in different areas like plastic, fiberglass, and metal surfaces. You can also reduce your expenditure by buying it in the perfect size as you want.
The complaint that many customers have reported is that the material needs to be thickened slightly.
- effective in minimizing low-frequency noise
- covering only 25 to 50% of the vehicle offers you excellent noise insulation
- it is resistant to corrosion
- Viscoelastic polymer layer along with aluminum adds to its durability
- very easy to install
- the material needs to be thickened slightly
Buying Guide: Factors to Consider before Purchasing
Before you go about purchasing the products, I would like to quickly walk you through the different parts where you can install the material to insulate it from noises and the other products which are available in the market.
1. Material Type
Different types of materials are used for making different automotive sound-deadening materials. In some products, asphalt is used while in others it is not. Products like Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat are odor-free since they do not use the harmful asphalt.
Also product like Design Engineering 050210 Boom Mat Sound contains viscoelastic polymer layer along with aluminum which not only makes it waterproof but also helps it cut off low-frequency noises.
Butyl based sound deadening products like Dynamat and Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat are harmless and very effective in reducing unnecessary noises.
Thickness also affects performance. Thicker products like Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat are better able to provide noise-free rides.
2. Sound Isolation Type
Each product has got a different composition which either helps it to act as a sound absorber or sound blocker. HushMat 10300 Ultra Black Foil Floor Kit with Damping Pad helps in reducing noise due to road distortions and vibrations. Low-frequency noises are reduced very effectively by Design Engineering 050210 Boom Mat Sound. Structural noises can be canceled out completely by Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat.
In order to cover the different parts of your vehicle perfectly, the material should be cut off in perfect shape and size. Some brands like HushMat 10300 Ultra Black Foil Floor Kit with Damping Pad also sell them in sheets. You can cut the material of FatMat Self-Adhesive Rattletrap Sound Deadener very easily to get perfect sized pieces.
The thicker the material is, the better it is in performance. Hence finding a perfectly thick material is a must. Products like the Dynamat and Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat are great in thickness and hence are very effective sound-deadening materials.
5. Are Rollers Included?
Rollers are essential during the installation of these products. But all brands do not provide you with rollers in the package. FatMat Self-Adhesive Rattletrap Sound Deadener has an installation kit included in the package which contains rollers.
A large variety of sound-deadening materials are available in the market. Most of them have the same features and composition, yet they differ in price. If you wish to enjoy relaxing and peaceful rides without spending much then Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat and Kilmat are the ideal products. The most expensive happens to be Dynamat though it is very reputed for its excellent performance.
7. If the Material is Odor-free
Some products use asphalt in the making of the product which produces a very unpleasant odor. It makes your rides very uncomfortable due to the bad smell. If you wish to install odor-free sound-deadening material then Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat is a perfect choice as it does not use asphalt at all.
8. Lightweight, Oil-resistant, High-quality
In order to facilitate easy installation, a lightweight product like Kilmat is preferred. The product should also be resistant to oil so that it does not get damaged. Besides, this, the product should also contain high-quality materials, should be free from asphalt, and sufficiently thick like the Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat so that you can enjoy the ride of your dreams.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is It Worth Sound Deadening a Car?
The answer to this question is definitely yes. It provides you with multiple benefits. With the help of a good quality sound deadener, you can reduce unwanted road noises to a huge extent which helps you to not get distracted as you drive.
Also, by installing them, you can enjoy listening to your stereo without having to increase the volume to compensate for the noises created by the different parts of the vehicle.
The noise due to the engines is also tremendously lowered and the different parts of the vehicle do not rattle. People who cannot tolerate high sound due to health issues will surely be benefitted if they install these kinds of products in their vehicles.
2. What Can I Use for Sound Deadening?
The best way to eliminate road distortion and rattling sound is to use mats. These can be cut into pieces of perfect size and attached to the doors, floors, and roofs to minimize unwanted sounds.
3. What Is the Best Automotive Insulation?
The performance of sound-deadening materials depends on its thickness and materials used. For best automotive insulation, you must get a product that is free from asphalt and is thick enough to cancel all the unwanted sounds.
Products like Dynamat and Second Skin Audio Damplifier Premium Automotive Sound Deadening Mat are perfect for your vehicles as they are made of butyl and are also very thick. The only minus point is that they are a bit costly.
If you want to go for cheaper products then you should definitely try Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat or Kilmat.
4. What Can I Use Instead of Dynamat?
Dynamat is a well-reputed brand and has got all the properties of an excellent sound-deadener but the only problem with this product is its high price.
As an alternative to it, you can choose products like Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat and Kilmat, which are not only cheap but also very effective in reducing noise.
5. How to Install Sound Deadening Mats?
- The first step to installing sound deadening mats is to carefully clean and degrease the surface. The surface should be perfectly dry when you apply these noise-reducing mats.
- After this, you can cut the sound-deadening material into pieces of desired sizes with the help of scissors or a stationery knife. Next, you may test fix a piece of the material into the desired location of your vehicle without removing the adhesive paper.
- The material should cover the entire region completely. This being done, you can peel off the adhesive paper very gently and install the sound-deadening material.
- In order to expel all the air bubbles, you can flatten it with your hands and then use a roller to ensure the perfect installation of the material.
6. How Do I Remove Sound Deadening Mats?
The material can be easily peeled off from the surfaces of your vehicle using a chemical called brake fluid which loosens the material from the surface. Goo Gone is a very good adhesive remover. Some customers also reported that they could remove the material from the surfaces of their vehicle by using a knife. But in order to ensure perfect removal, the adhesive remover is preferred.